Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How to create successful students

So Domenic, how did you do it?  How did you create such successful students?

Why do you ask how I did it?
Because I want to know the secret.

Why do you want to know?
Because I can then share it with others and they can have the same success.  You aren't greedy Mr. Weber, are you?

Well if I told you it wouldn't be much of a secret anymore would it! Let me ask you this, what do you think the secret it?
I don't know.

Well try.
You simply picked the best and the brightest, it was staged.

Say I did that.  What does the research show about the success of the best and the brightest?
Actually it says they pretty much end up average.

So try again, what do you think I did?
Did you start with a different understanding of how we learn?

Ah, you're closer
Is the secret in discipline and behavioral theory?

Now we're getting somewhere.  Keep going?
You focused on earning their respect so they paid attention, then they learned better.

No no, you're getting colder.
UGGH! I GIVE UP.

Ok, I'll tell you the answer.  I asked a simple question; what's the ONE thing I can do that will forever change a students ability to learn?
That's it?  What do you mean, you just asked a question?

Yep!
Well what's the answer to the question?

What question?
What's the ONE thing?

Well, what do you think it is?
I don't know...

Is it rote memorization of facts, memorizing the periodic table, speed reading, teaching the law of averages on a standardized test?
No, it couldn't be any of those things.

Ok, great, so what could it be?
Perhaps teaching students to write or read.  Maybe it's painting.  Teaching them right from wrong?

Yes.  You just did it, the ONE thing.
WHAT!?!

I told you the answer, I asked a simple question!

No comments:

Post a Comment